Friday, May 12, 2017

Living Stones, Easter 5, May 14, 2017


Fourth Week of Easter (Year A)
Sunday, May 7, 2017

Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me.  In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also.
– John 14:1-3 (NRSV)

Theme: Living Stones

Reflection:  The first three verses of John 14 introduce Jesus’ farewell discourse, John’s transition between Jesus’ teaching and signs, and his passion. Over the next three chapters, John shares a summary: a brief wrap-up of what Jesus has taught the disciples, what he wants them (and us) to remember.

Reassurance is how Jesus starts and ends this discourse. In short, Jesus says to his disciples in today’s verses: You’re going to see some frightening things soon. They may cause you to want to give up.

Don’t. Lose. Hope.

Just like I’m going to be with my Father, soon you will be with us, too. Believe it. It will be beyond your imagination, and everyone who trusts me will be there. In the meantime, remember all the things I’ve done. Keep doing them. Let the world know my Father through your actions. I will empower you – and because there are so many of you, your works will far outshine mine if you keep acting in the spirit of love.

I doubt Jesus meant this metaphor of a house and dwelling places (or mansion and rooms) literally. God probably isn’t running a boarding house. Jesus is preparing a place, he said. The Son is rejoining the Father, the Word with God, continuing to create. The future of God’s family is where God is.

I am uplifted by the first part of this text. The rest of Jesus’ instructions are daunting: “the one who believes in me will also do the works I do…” We believers have some heavy lifting to do to feed the hungry, heal the sick, show hospitality to refugees, care for orphans and widows, show mercy to the grieving and poor, reach out to those as different from us as the Samaritans and Gentiles were to the Jews, forgive one another, and find other ways to love in the spirit of Jesus.

Overwhelming, isn’t it?

We, too, are living in some troubled times. That “Don’t. Lose. Hope.” message is as much for us as the early Christians. Perhaps no believers you know have been stoned lately, but the Christian family is divided, attacked from the inside out, and misrepresented daily. Our enemies aren’t the only ones who can throw rocks.

We need this strong fortress to protect us from these forces that would weaken us. We need divine guidance to lead us to speak out and to take the right actions. We need to become the Lord’s living stones to be built into a community, so we will reveal God’s love to this hurting world. That is our Lord’s work continuing through us, and I pray for the wisdom and strength to do this kingdom work – not all of it, but the work I’m guided to do each day.

At the same time, I know this particular living stone still can be a stumbling block. I need to continue to listen and learn, not shout out the voices of those around me. This living stone needs to be open to be shaped by the work of the Spirit so I can become a perfect fit for the Master Builder’s construction.

I get a little touchy when I’m being chiseled and sanded. Sometimes it scratches and hurts, and I don’t see it as perfecting. I can be downright unbreakable, and it requires the irresistible work of the Spirit to wear me down. It’s my goal to accept this polishing with a bit more grace.
 

(You always are welcome to respond with your thoughts and reflections in the comments section at the bottom of the blog post.) 

Faith App:  How are you letting yourself be shaped and placed in God’s spiritual house? Listen this week for how God is working on your rough spots, or calling you to a new responsibility to grow your faith community.

HYMN/SONG SUGGESTIONS
O Jesus, I Have Promised, ELW 810
Christ Is Alive! Let Christians Sing, ELW 389
Here, O Lord, Your Servants Gather, ELW 530
I Received the Living God, ELW 477
God of Grace and God of Glory, ELW 705
I Know That My Redeemer Lives, ELW 619
Open Your Ears, O Faithful People, ELW 519

That Where I Am, You May Also Be, Rich Mullins/Michael W. Smith
(The story of this song, based on John 14-15: Rich Mullins composed this song as part of a rough recording of songs for his next album, “The Jesus Record,” nine days before his tragic death. Michael W. Smith finished this song for the album Christian artists recorded from his compositions.)

Big House, Audio Adrenaline
One Way, Hillsong United
Shelter (You Are My Refuge), Sonicflood
Keep Making Me, Sidewalk Prophets

MUSIC VIDEO
When Love Broke Through, TobyMac http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44l9PRI4c2M
(This would be a good video to show in a contemporary music service)

LESSONS
Acts 7:55-60 Then they dragged Stephen out of the city and began to stone him.
Psalm 31:1-5, 15-16 Be a rock of refuge for me, a strong fortress to save me.
1 Peter 2:2-10 Like living stones, let yourselves be built into a spiritual house.
John 14:1-14 In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places.

Summary of the Lessons: What are we allowing God to make of us? Some people are living stones, open to whatever purpose God has for them, ready to be chiseled and shaped and polished. Others are murderous stones with their hands over our ears, shouting so they never recognize the voice of God, stumbling blocks for others. The difference is that some people are opened by the Holy Spirit, others are unwilling to see.

OPENING LITANY based on Psalm 31:1-5, 15-16
L:  Christ is Risen!
C: He is Risen, Indeed!

L:  Protect me, O Lord, give me a safe shelter
C:  Rescue me from the perils that surround me
L:  Please listen to me when I cry out in anguish,
C:  Surround me like a fortress until I feel secure.

L:  I’ve given myself to you alone, come what may,
C:  On your rock-solid foundation I’m building my life.
L:  Guide me around every unseen trap and temptation.
C:  Master Builder, keep refining me every day of my life.

L:  From my first cry to my last breath, my life is yours.
C:  Lord, deliver me from people who would harm me.
L:  Every day I listen and try to do what makes you smile,
C:  In your kindness, Faithful One, please come to my aid.

CONFESSION
L:  Lord, we confess how closed-minded we are about your truths,
C:  Our scriptures, as well as preachers and teachers, reveal you to us.
L:  But we reject people who see visions, dismiss their dreams.
C:  Open our eyes and ears to the Spirit at work throughout our church.

L:  Lord, we confess we struggle to allow you to guide our lives,
C:  Information is available 24/7, as fast as the speed of our internet,
L:  But you say you are the way, the truth and the life every moment
C:  Help us place our times in your hands, even when we are afraid.

L:  And Lord, we confess how we resist your attempts to grow us;
C:  Our hearts are hard, far from the softness of your servant heart.
L:  Eternal life is our focus, rather than building your kingdom now.
C: Keep shaping us, Lord, as we discover how to love like you did.

(Silent reflection)

L:  In our confession, we pray together,
C:  A rock is an object – one we can use to build up or tear down. We know rocks in construction can build homes and communities, and rocks in walls divide. Rocks in landscapes add beauty, and rocks used as weapons can kill. We need to consider our own rocks of intolerance, hurtful words and spiteful actions, and stop ignoring the injustices that put God’s people to death. Open our eyes and ears to the cries of your people now.

Hear this Good News:  Our faithful God has redeemed us from our actions that cause distress and division. We who believe in God are not rejected or put to shame. Even with all our flaws and rough edges, God has chosen us, sees us as holy, and with great mercy, has forgiven us. Walk in the way, the truth and life of Jesus the Christ
Amen.

PRAYER OF THE DAY
L:  We pray together, 
C:  Ever-Creating God … Use us as your living stones, precious and chosen, to construct your spiritual house. Shape us into structures of welcome and grace, joined together with joists of justice and mortar of mercy. Give us this shared vision, so all people will begin to see God’s kingdom rising, not someday, but in our world starting today.  Amen.

COMMUNION BLESSING
L:  We pray together,
C:  We give you thanks, most gracious God, for revealing yourself to us in this gift of bread and wine. Thank you for choosing us and continuing to grow and shape us as living stones to create your spiritual house, your kingdom come in this place. Send us now, still rough and unfinished, but willing to share your love and light with everyone we meet.  Amen.

SENDING
L:  You are our rock and our refuge,
C:  We can rely on you to shelter us;
L:  You are our solid cornerstone,
C:  The foundation that never fails.

L:  Go now, as living stones, to love and to serve the Lord.
C:  Thanks be to God!

First Reading Acts 7:55-60 (NRSV)

Setting the Scene: Much like Jesus’ first sermon in his hometown incited violence, Stephen’s prophetic words following the resurrection incite the Jewish leaders.

55 But filled with the Holy Spirit, he gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 56 “Look,” he said, “I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!” 57 But they covered their ears, and with a loud shout all rushed together against him. 58 Then they dragged him out of the city and began to stone him; and the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59 While they were stoning Stephen, he prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 60 Then he knelt down and cried out in a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he died.

Second Reading 1 Peter 2:2-10 (NRSV)

Setting the Scene: The writer of 1 Peter provides Gentile believers with their identity in Christ. But we, too, fall into this description of the raw materials of the kingdom.

Like newborn infants, long for the pure, spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow into salvation— if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.
Come to him, a living stone, though rejected by mortals yet chosen and precious in God’s sight, and like living stones, let yourselves be built into a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For it stands in scripture:
“See, I am laying in Zion a stone,
    a cornerstone chosen and precious;
and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”
To you then who believe, he is precious; but for those who do not believe,
“The stone that the builders rejected
    has become the very head of the corner,”
and
“A stone that makes them stumble,
    and a rock that makes them fall.”
They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do.
But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
10 Once you were not a people,
    but now you are God’s people;
once you had not received mercy,
    but now you have received mercy.

Gospel John 10:1-10 (NRSV)

Setting the Scene: This passage begins John’s farewell discourse that continues from the Last Supper to Jesus’ capture in the Garden of Gethsemane. In these three chapters, Jesus gives his disciples (including us) promises and vision for the future.

14 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way to the place where I am going.” Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”
Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves. 12 Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment